The pain of chafing can be unbearable. What causes it? Is there underwear that can really prevent chafing?
Before resorting to powders and lotions, consider buying the right underwear to prevent chafing in the first place.
In this article, we’ll help you understand what causes chafing, give you some preventative tips and suggest ways to relieve the pain if you suffer from it – then guide you the best anti-chafing underwear.
It’s a Burning Problem
Chafing is a serious problem.
It can stop you in your tracks and make whatever you are doing unbearable.
Even basic movements like walking can be excruciating – and of course, marathon runners are all too familiar with the pain and discomfort of chafing.
Thankfully, chafing is relatively easy to treat and even easier to prevent.
What is Chafing?
Chafing happens when there is friction between your own skin that comes from your inner thighs rubbing together.
This friction damages your skin and causes a rash, pain, sometimes blisters and even bleeding.
You can also get red blisters or a rash from harsh, itchy fabrics rubbing against your skin.
Where Does Chafing Occur?
Chafing normally happens on your inner upper thighs, but it can also occur elsewhere on your body if you wear clothes that don't fit properly.
Even though most people experience inner thigh chafing, some people also experience underwear line chafing or find irritated skin underneath their arms.
The symptoms are easy to recognize:
- Red skin
- A flat, hot rash
What Causes Chafing?
There are several common causes:
- Wet skin and trapped moisture between the skin folds after swimming
- Not drying off after a sweaty workout
- Extensive walking or running, causing the skin to rub together
- Wearing thin fabric on your legs which doesn't create enough of a barrier between the fabric and your skin
- Heat and humidity
- Wearing non-wicking underwear that doesn’t absorb moisture
How to Prevent Chafing
Here are some easy ways to prevent chafing:
- Dry off your skin regularly. If you know that you sweat profusely on certain days, try to keep it dry. This will cut down on the redness and pain
- Wear loose clothes. If your tight clothes are causing you to sweat more, wear looser clothes to help your body to stay cool
- Keep your body temperature lower. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated and cool
- Powder your inner thighs. This can soak up the moisture and sweat and calm your inflamed skin. You can purchase specialty powder for this at drugstores or online
- Wear anti-chafe underwear. The right kind of underwear will protect your thighs and genitals from irritation
How to Treat Chafing
If you already have chafing, here are some products that will help treat it:
Baby will soak up moisture and help keep you dry, preventing further skin irritations. Apply it to your inner thighs before getting dressed. Re-apply as necessary.
Vaseline or any type of branded petroleum jelly works by softening and moisturizing your skin - and it creates another barrier to protect your skin from more irritations, soothing the pain almost instantly.
For additional information about treatng chafing, please be sure to check out WebMD.
What is the Best Type of Anti-Chafe Underwear?
The best type of underwear to prevent chafing is boxer briefs, because they stay close to the skin with enough length to protect the inner thighs.
It’s important to choose anti-chafe underwear with a moisture-wicking fabric, so that as soon as the sweat touches it, the wetness is pulled away from the skin and it evaporates.
Best Fit for Anti-Chafe Underwear?
Choose stay-put underwear with a hidden waistband that has a lower profile than your standard men’s brief.
Exposed waistbands can move around on your body causing rubbing and friction – and, yes, chafing.
Make sure you have the right fit.
If your underwear rides up, twists or causes wedgies it can rub against your skin and cause painful chafing.
Photo credit: stepone.life (an Austrailian underwear brand)
Stay Safe from the Chafe
If you want to prevent the misery of burning, itching, oozing, painful chafing, invest in good quality non-chafing boxer briefs.
It will give you a whole new level of under comfort.
One exaple of non-chafing boxer briefs are our G3 CoolNlyon Made in USA men's underwear.
Here are some feature highlights:
- Chafe-free (of course!) with flat-lock seams
- Body-friendly, wicking, moisture-absorbing and stretchy
- Super comfortable
- Wedgie-free with no bunching
- Roomy & supportive, with a 3-dimensional X3 Pouch ™ chamber for “the boys”
- Low profile anti-pinch and anti-muffin top hidden waistband
- Made from abrasion and odor resistant fabric
To learn more about them, please click here.
Your body will thank you from the first moment you put them on.
We lke to say it's like going commando -- but better :)